Out of sight, out of mind is often the thought when it comes to the ductwork in your home. However, air ducts are an essential part of your home’s ventilation. And without them, your HVAC system wouldn’t be capable of supplying air throughout your home. Replacing ductwork plays a significant part in the indoor air quality of your home too.
Even if your HVAC system is working well, if the ductwork is not maintained, the results may be poor air quality and lower efficiency. An essential part of your HVAC system’s routine maintenance includes making sure that your ductwork is clean has no damage. Then, when your ductwork is not well maintained, you could end up needing ductwork repair and replacement.
The Importance of Your Ductwork
Your home’s ductwork plays a vital role in your air conditioning system’s energy efficiency, performance, and durability. The duct system keeps you cool through long hot summers and gives you the blast of warmth when you need it during the winter months.
You see, the ductwork in your home or business is responsible for moving large volumes of air between your air handler and the vents in each of your rooms. So, if something happens to the ductwork and it needs repair or replacement, your heating and cooling systems won’t be nearly as efficient as they should be.
Ducts use sheet metal shaped to fit around corners and squeeze through narrow channels as they wind their way through your home or business. Over time, it’s common for ductwork to develop leaks from cracks, gaps, and loose connections. And even small leaks can have a significant impact on HVAC efficiency, wasting up to 30 percent of the air blowing through the system.
Veterans AC & Heat offers professional duct services for the highest level of comfort all year round.
Replacing Ductwork: Diagnostic Services
Clearly, expertise matters, especially when it comes to having your duct repaired or replaced. Establishing and maintaining the proper air pressure is critical when making repairs or installing new systems for optimum comfort and safety. Our professional air distribution tests and inspections allow our experienced comfort specialists to pinpoint any problems and supply the optimal solution.
Replacing Ductwork: When It Is Time
If you think it may be time to replace your ductwork for the HVAC system in your home, you may be right. After all, you probably know your system best. Here are a few of the reasons we recommend replacing ductwork.
- Age: Yep, when the ductwork is old, it may be time for a replacement. With proper care, they can last more than ten years. That said, they may still need repair from time to time. Your HVAC technician can clue you into the minor repairs. But if there are signs of further deterioration, the tech may recommend replacement.
- Increase in Energy Bills: If your energy bill has taken a giant leap in cost for no apparent reason, you should look for the unapparent. And often, that means something is wrong with your AC ductwork. Same your air quality and your wallet by getting an inspection right away.
- A Super Dusty Home: No one wants to struggle through day after day of dusting only to never really get it all. If you have a dustier-than-average home, your ductwork may need replacement. And if you see dust leaking out of the vents and onto the ceiling, that is a sure sign.
- New HVAC System: If you have to replace your HVAC unit, you may opt to go ahead and replace the ductwork as well. Likely they are the same age and both will benefit from all new ductwork. Not to mention, your current ductwork may not be compatible with the new standards for HVAC. Have it checked out when you are getting the system replaced.
- Air Flow: A healthy AC unit has good airflow. So, if your AC is not pushing air as it used to, there may be an issue. If it is damaged, aged, dirty, or clogged, you need to schedule a quality inspection. What’s more, if you are experiencing less than optimal air temperatures or high energy bills, it is time to call a tech.
- Temperature: Is the AC not keeping up with cooling the house as you desire? You may need a duct inspection. Try changing the air filters. If that does not work, call your local HVAC specialist.
- Damage: Dents and punctures in your duct system alter the airflow and temperature. Those can be repaired if they are minor. But if you have several deteriorated sections, you may need total replacement.
- A Pest Invasion: If you have recently had a rodent problem in your attic, you may need to consider replacing your ductwork. Rodents are known to chew through and even travel through ductwork.
- Odors or Mold: If your HVAC system smells musty when it kicks on, that odor may be telling you there is mold in the system. Now that is terrible news and requires immediate replacement. You see, each time the unit turns on, it blows mold spores into the entire home, infecting every part of the home, not only the ductwork. Mold causes serious health issues and several other problems. So if you suspect mold growth in your ducts, please do not hesitate to call your local HVAC company.
- Noise: Do you hear strange noises when the air is blowing through the ducts? You may need ductwork repair or replacement. There could be a tear, a disconnected duct, or something clogging the system.
- Poor Design: Unfortunately, it happens. When a home is built, the ductwork is laid to distribute the air evenly throughout the house. If that was not done well, you might need a replacement.
- Renovation or Remodel: Say you have knocked out a few walls in your home to open it up. Or maybe you have added rooms. In those cases, the ductwork may need restructuring to distribute the air through the home properly.
What Replacing Ductwork Repair Can Do
Our duct repair and replacement services can resolve these issues and more.
- Poor Indoor Air Quality. Outdoor pollutants and allergens come through leaky ducts into your home or business that can pose serious health risks to you, your family, customers, or employees.
- Uneven Performance. Air pressure can lead to unbalanced or inadequate air delivery and hot or cold spots throughout your home through duct leaks.
- Stress on HVAC Equipment. Suppose you have leaks in your HVAC system. In that case, the leaks can force heating and cooling systems to operate longer to reach desired temperatures, resulting in unnecessary wear and tear on critical components.
- Higher Energy Bills. If you notice that your energy bills are rising, you may need ductwork repair or replacement.
Whether repairing existing ducts or replacing ductwork altogether, Veterans AC & Heat is here to ensure that your heating and cooling systems keep you comfortable for years to come. Give us a call today for a no-obligation estimate for replacing ductwork or HVAC repair.